Sunday 11 January 2015

Tunes to scratch a pen to

This month in the Islanders, each member made a post about music they liked. Im going to copy and paste that selection here to my blog too

I have a bit of a schizophrenic taste in music..... ya ya suiting my schizophrenic personality :P I have tried to always be open to all forms of music, so I have found a bit of everything that I like. Music and podcasts are my constant companion in those long hours working on artwork, so my library is gigantic. So like the rest I have way too many favourites to fit into a single post but ill throw up some that jump to mind:

 John McLaughlin, Paco DeLucia, Al DiMeola- Friday Night in San Francisco
Still a favourite of mine after many many years listening to it, three of the greatest guitarists got together to do a tour but it was just one night in San Francisco everything just seemed to work

Rolling Stones- Paint it Black
One my all time favourites, it reminds me of my time in 'Nam ;) A great period in American music

Anam an Amhráin- Cailleach an Airgid
From a series of brilliant animations by Cartoon Saloon, where they were commissioned by a TG4 show which is about Irish traditional songs, they made a modern recording of some of them from the best talent in the Gaeltacht and matched that with animation, this one from Connamara

Kíla- Cabhraigí léi
One of my favourite bands, they are the best modern reinterpretation of Irish trad in my opinion, always experimenting and searching

Nico Vega - Beast
Discovered these guys recently, the album this song is from is the first album in a long long time I have heard that the whole thing is great

System of a Down- Prison Song
A really acquired taste, System of a Downs form of metal never gets old for me

Bob Dylan- Let me Die in my Footsteps
Probably my favourite song of all time

Seán Ó Riada-Marcshlua Uí Néill/O'Neills March
I love the marches in Irish trad, this is my favourite

Brian Hughes- The Ships are Sailing
Tin whistle rocks! So lively, great music to listen to while illustrating, Besides Mary Bergin, Brian Hughes is the best

Survival of the fittest Mopp Deep
fell in love with Hip Hop in my teens and I have never been able to shake it off, it kind of reminds me of growing up in Limerick city, the mentality, the modern city environment. Mobb Deep were the best

Biggie & Tupac Freestyle
Another great one, not a huge fan of either of them by themselves but they really pulled out all the stops for this

Rachid Taha - Barra barra
I love Rachid Tahas music, a great mix of North African music with modern elements

Tannas - Sabbal Ia'n Ic Uisdean
From the Western Isles in Scotland, a Scots Gaelic Band, Tannas, have some great music

Louis Armstrong-A Kiss To Build A Dream On 
A great period in American music, the 1930-40's had so many great songs, something about wars that lead to good music. Louis Armstrong is of course one of the greatest voices in history

No comments: