Thursday 25 September 2014

Sketches from Cork Museum

Christ Church Iron Spearhead (Maybe Viking)

Christ Church Iron Buckle (Maybe 17th Century)


I took an hour out of my day on Tuesday as well and popped into Cork Museum in Fitzgeralds Park to look at the collection of later medieval objects they had on showcase there. While there I did these two sketches.

One was a Spearhead found in Christ Church Cork. The plague in the museum said it could be Viking, but the shape of the spearhead is common in quite a lot of periods, like the Lisnacrogher Iron Age Spearhead, I have seen a Norman spearhead found in Britain similar looking as well, the style was quite common. I suppose "if it aint broke, dont fix it"

Another is an Iron Buckle found at Christ Church Cork again, and at the museum it said, that it was probably the 17th. But D shaped buckles were common I believe in the later middle ages too, so Im not so sure

No comments: