Thursday 18 October 2012

Mace Sketch


During the week I had a chance to pop into the Cork Museum in Fitzgeralds park, always a great museum to visit, it has a nice little display of Irish material from the Neolithic to the modern period. While I was there I had a chance to do some sketches, this one is a ink sketch of a Mace reconstruction, from the Neolithic period I believe, I think the head may actually be a find but the other parts like the handle are modern reconstruction for display purposes. While it might look small in the sketch it's actually huge, id say you would need two hands to wield it, I didnt take exact measurements but to venture a guess it could have been anywhere from half a metre to three quarters of a metre in length. Must have been a fiercesome weapon in its day..... or nut cracker, no nut too big, those neolithic nuts must have been huge ;)

No comments: