Tuesday, 27 January 2015

Kilmartin Upper Stone Circle Gouache Painting


Just a quick A5 gouache painting I did yesterday for fun, it was done on paper I toned myself using gesso, ink and old coffee. Sceitse visited this stone circle about 2 years ago now I think in January, was just beyond Blarney in North Cork on the foothills of the Boggeragh mountains.

This little stone circle had great views of the valley below and the undulating hills flowing off into the distance till this glorious sky out stretched beyond which had the most amazing colours, signaling the coming snow. One of my favourite megalithic moments, I knew I was going to try and paint it at some stage

4 comments:

jane B said...

Really like this - especially the soft mistiness around the bas of the stones.

JG O'Donoghue said...

Thanks Jane :)

Michael Nolan said...

You really did capture a quality about the stones man, the mistiness but just a sort of general... stone quality, hard to explain. Your best yet man.

JG O'Donoghue said...

Thanks man! Gouache is fun to play with! Much prefer it to Watercolour